Sunday 8 July 2007

Materialism

I think that it is clear to most of us that there are, at least, two forms of materialism. Let's be simplistic for a moment and consider only one extreme, to show that there are many forms. And rather than calling the sort that I believe that I display, Good, and the other, Bad; I shall, in a radical departutre from my usual form, strive for an approximation to objectivity.

In my bathroom sits a spongebag. It is a truly beautiful spongebag. Made of a rich, deeply coloured, lustrous brown leather, it holds my attention every time I see it. (Lest you think too poorly of me, I may add that it is somewhat new.) It is a distinct pleasure to use it now; and even with the passage of time, I don't doubt that it will be more pleasurable to use it than it was to use my old, rather ordinary one.

Now, to dwell upon the purely physical qualities of such an object may be called materialistic. However, there is now venality, no greed in my thoughts. I am happy to have it, no doubt, but I would have absolutely no use for another.

This is not the end of the moral aspect. A digression, into waters of which I know little. Hopefully the ship of my allegory shall not run aground on the rocks of my ignorance.

At the beginning of the Renaissance, Humanist architects and artists produced work on a human scale. One identifies this period with small, but beautifully proportioned, rooms in small, but beautifully proportioned, houses.

Later, towards the Baroque, this sense of proportion was lost or discarded. Palaces became bigger (or rather, bigger palaces were made), works of art became more ornate, involved, and extravagant. Did this immediately lead to a decline in quality? No, but we can crudely characterise this progression as one from the building of wonderful houses to the building of, admittedly more, wonderful palaces; from achitecture designed for the enjoyment of individual human beings to architecture designed to overawe and to overwhelm.

So how on Earth does this relate to my spongebag? The point is that I don't intend to show it to anyone. I don't intend to compare it to other people's spongebags, and so the pleasure that it gives me is, in the sense above, humanist and even humane.

It is also reassuringly physical. Its seductive smell, and it smooth, sensuous finish are, of course, entirely irrelevant to its function. But they are to be enjoyed by only me, and so have a different impact on my thoughts than would the beauty of an object designed for ostentatious display, or indeed any sort of display.

The final measures, I feel, are given by how a material object may affect my actions, and my happiness.

The fact is that I didn't covet this spongebag before I bought it. I didn't dream of, one day, buying such a bag. Thus I was not at all unhappy without it, yet I was made marginally more happy by its acquisition. And doubtless, when it is gone, I shall not shed tears for its passing, nor attempt to replace it.

It entered my life unasked, its tenure in my life is marked by a slight increase in my happiness, and at its passing I shall be unmoved. If only I could feel this way about all of my possessions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great reading. I am very glad to see you writing again. Keep it going I'll look forward to reading more. - KMD

Anonymous said...

What about some snaps too? Where is the building in the picture - school?